Apptio builds SaaS applications that help IT and finance leaders manage, plan, and optimize technology investments. The company grew its business by empowering sales territories to operate as “franchises” so regional sales teams could develop individual approaches in order to maximize the local market opportunity within their regions.
This “franchise” approach, while instrumental to driving Apptio’s market expansion and growth, also resulted in inconsistency of sales methods and a lot of improvised, widely dispersed sales content. Apptio’s marketing and sales teams had no ability to ensure customer messaging was accurate, consistent, current, and — most importantly — effective.
Apptio’s complex product-market dynamic, featuring multiple products, multiple buyer personas, and multiple customer segments, compounded these issues. It was difficult for sales reps to know what content to use for any given customer conversation, let alone find the most current and up-to-date versions of content using internal file shares.
As a result, content was either highly customized by each rep for every sales engagement or, on the other extreme, stored on rep’s local drives and not regularly updated.
As Apptio’s growth accelerated, company leadership recognized the need to scale in a more programmatic and predictable way. They were looking for:
- A consistent experience across all of sales and marketing touch points
- A unified location where customer-facing roles could find all authoritative, relevant, and up-to-date content
- Powerful search functions that surfaced relevant content based on buyer scenario and opportunity profile
- The ability for sales presentations to be automatically created based on the opportunity profile
- A scalable, easy-to-integrate tool that played well with other tech investments
- Improved content ownership that would allow publishers to easily merchandise their content in multiple areas depending on the audience they are trying to reach