Blog Home

Empowering Female Leaders in the New World of Work

Posted in:  Highspot News

At Highspot, we believe in bringing our full and unique selves to work every day. To support this mission, we have intentionally designed initiatives to empower and grow our people through the ever-changing working world.

This year, we are honored that this ongoing work has earned us recognition in Fortune’s Best Workplace for Women. To celebrate this achievement, we passed the mic to two of our female leaders to share their firsthand experience.

nikki dawson, highspot

Nikki Dawson, Director of Marketing, EMEA
Joined Highspot September 2021

I chose to come to Highspot because of the amazing culture, people, and product. A key driver for me was also the fact that I get to be a part of an EMEA leadership team where women are the majority.

As a working parent, holiday time is so precious and is spent focused on my kids. The addition of Highspot’s “Recharge Fridays” are a wonderful, guilt-free day to have time for myself and recharge, which I really value.

I feel inspired at Highspot by the great people and the company’s mission to empower employees. The company is truly invested in our people. I’m particularly impressed by leadership’s approach to DE&I and the open dialogue that is happening across the company every day.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, we established a “flexible normal” which has meant adjusting working hours to allow for personal obligations like parenting needs and adding all-company days off as a creative way to keep everyone energized and balanced amidst continuous change. Our people choose to spend these days recharging, pursuing personal passions, or participating in social justice activities. In addition to this time spent away from the virtual office, we also instated “Focus Thursdays,” where every Thursday afternoon is meeting-free to allow for concentration and deep work.

devon bennetts, highspot

Devon Bennetts, Director, Engineering Operations
Joined Highspot December 2018

Before joining Highspot, I was working for a large company where it was easy to feel like a cog in a machine. I wanted to work somewhere where I could make a difference and have an impact on the team and the company. At Highspot, I had the opportunity to define the TPM function and build the engineering operations team from scratch as well as evolve many of the product team’s rhythms and processes.

In past companies, I have struggled to insert myself into conversations, especially when I am the only female in the room. Highspot has put a large emphasis on inclusive meeting practices, making sure that everyone’s inputs are heard and respected.

I love being at Highspot because the work and the team are constantly evolving! Our team continues to grow and so does our customer base. We are constantly uncovering new challenges and trying out new ways of working. I love working for a company that is always asking “what could we do better?”

Establishing inclusive meeting practices has been a large initiative across the company. Research shows that at a mixed table men will take up 75% of the conversation, leaving just 25% of the talking time for women.

When we hear from all perspectives in meetings, we make better decisions and people have a sense of belonging, which contributes to better products and a better customer experience. In partnership with our DE&I consulting team, The Nova Collective, a training was put on to cover the dos and don’ts of an inclusive meeting. Together, our teams learned tips for leading with inclusion.

While it is an incredible honor to earn workplace recognition, we know the work is never done. We are striving every day to create an environment where people feel free and supported to bring their unique and full selves to work every day.

If Highspot sounds like a place you can see building your career and sharing your voice, check out our Careers site for more information and to explore our open roles.